Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Where has the time gone?!

It seems like I was just home... and it was warm....

It snowed here yesterday. It looks beautiful, with all the trees and things covered in snow... but it's cold. I don't like cold. So I'm wrapping up in a sweater and trying to stay indoors (at least until the wind stops blowing snow into my face).

From back home: Caroline, or Change (the show I assisted in August-September this year) had a couple special guests for their closing night performance. A wonderful end to an amazing show.

For those of you who don't know what I'm doing out here, a brief recap. I'm working at the Fall Festival of Shakespeare at Shakespeare and Co (where I've worked for the past 2 summers). It's basically a program where S&Co sends teams of directors, costumers and set/props people to 10 area high schools, where they put on a 90 minute cut of a Shakespeare play. At the end of the program, each school has a few performances at their own school, and the festival culminates with all of the schools coming together and performing for each other on the mainstage at S&Co. Once the show opens, everything (acting, crews, board ops, stage managing, EVERYTHING) is done by the students. It's a really powerful experience.

So, for this festival, I'm designing the costumes for 2 of the high schools: Chatham (which is in upstate NY), and Lenox (which is the town where I'm based). By the luck of the draw, they are both doing Hamlet. It's a cool experience for me, because even though they are doing the same play, the cuts are different, and the concept for each is completely different. One school is setting their Hamlet in the 1990s, and the other is in its' own world, but sort of reminiscent of the 1800s.

Things are going well here. I'm starting to hit the point of "tech starts next Friday (!!!!)", but I feel prepared. Fittings for 1 school are done, and done except for a few stragglers at the other. I get to spend all day Thursday, Friday, and part of Saturday doing alterations (yea! I get to sew :) and then tech starts next week for 1 school and the following Tuesday for the other. It will be a busy few weeks, but completely worth it. I love working with kids, and this experience is beyond words.

That's all from here-Happy Halloween!!!

No comments: