Monday, October 09, 2006

Never changing, but it's ever changed....Only in New York!

I think I've talked to most people since I've gotten here, but just a short post to let everyone know that I'm not dead!

We've moved in (finally-I think all my stuff may be unpacked!) Our apartment is a cute little 3-bedroom in Woodhaven (Queens). I'll have pics up soon, it's a nice little place, not huge, but plenty big enough for 3 people. It's all hardwood floors and in a pretty nice neighborhood. It's about an hour ride to midtown Manhattan from here, but it's not bad. I'm actually employed :) I'm working at American Eagle in Queen's Center, about a 20 min bus ride away. I get to wear jeans to work :) It's a fun job; I've never worked in retail before, so it's new. Kinda crazy at times, but nice. The one thing I really like is that at the end of the day, I can go home. I know it sounds weird to say that, but at school or Timber Lake, your job (or schoolwork and etc) became your life. At school, there was always some project to do or a test to study for, and that became your life. At Timber Lake you lived on site, so there was no escaping work. But I love it because when I clock out, I'm done.

I did have an interesting insight when I was updating on Facebook the other day:
About Me:
Crazy theatre person + Not doing theatre while in the theatre capital of the US = going insane with lonliness for everything: the good rehearsals, the breakthroughs that are spectacular to watch and feel, the commeraderie, even the all-nighters... I miss it, more than I can say, every time I see it, which makes me think that maybe I wasn't so crazy in choosing this career. Do what you HAVE to do...theatre has become more than a pastime for me, it's part of who I am and who I want to be. It's no longer something that I just enjoy doing, it's something I must do. And that....that is why this is one of the greatest professions on earth because everyone involved feels that way too!!

Things are going well here; it's starting to feel like home instead of a strange place. More later, and pics to come!

Love to all.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Glad to hear that you're settling in. :)

Nicki said...

Aww, Greta, I feel like I'm reading my own post. Schmee! You're so brave to move to NYC to pursue your career. :) Don't EVER let anyone tell you "do what you have to do" to pay the rent--because something will always come through. (unless you have to become a hooker. Then maybe you might have to rethink your life) I completely understand how you feel: theatre is my BLOOD, which is why I finally said "fuckit!" and took the afternoon off work to write. And read people's blogs. But mostly write. Keep your eyes open for theatre troops who need epople--you might be working for free, but we all know that's what makes we theatre people happy. :)