Thursday, July 10, 2008

A walk on the wild side

Last night, I was in my room talking to Andy on the phone, when suddenly, seemingly out of nowhere, a bat began circling my room. I have no idea where said bat came from, so he startled me. I realized I had no idea of how to get Sir Bat out of my room-so I went next door, and asked one of the actresses to help me. She donned a pair of rubber gloves and, wielding a sweater, went into my room and trapped the bat and let it free outside. I have no idea how the bat got into my room-my windows have screens, and the only way I can think of is through the hole in the floor of my closet.

The 4th of July was fun-we worked a half day and then a bunch of us costume shop people went out for lunch. I watched fireworks with some friends later that night.

We are in the midst of the build for Othello now-it's nice to be able to just stitch.

I've noticed now that I speak in much more formal language at times- the other day I said that "I'm of 2 minds on how to do this." Things like that. But seeing Shakespeare as many times as I have in the last few weeks has an impact.

Andy came up last weekend. It was very nice to have him here. We mostly just laid low and enjoyed each other's company, which was really great after 2 months away. We saw All's Well together, and wandered around town for a while. The time was good, but too short.

I only have a little over 2 weeks left.Even though I still have more summer left when I get home, my time here has flown, and soon I will be back in the Midwest (for a couple of months, anyway).

2 comments:

Nicki said...

zomg bats. I hate bats in enclosed spaces...they are so freaky, with the flying around and the high-pitched squeaky noises. *shudder* You're more mature than me, I probably would have run screaming from the house.

Funny how I can face down spiders, roaches and mice undaunted, but a bat gets me all a-tizzy. Oh well.

Good luck on Othello! there's a production here in Wmsbrg as well, but I heard that it's difficult to understand because for some reason the actors are using South African accents!

Unknown said...

Nicki's braver than she speaks....she didn't run screaming from the house...she ran screaming onto the landing between our rooms. Course the bat never would have landed on her face if I hadn't caught it and threw it outside instead of just ensuring it got out of my room....

Glad you're having a good season! And I'm glad Andy made it out there to visit you. A visit from friends and family goes a long way...wish I could do it more often.