"The time has come," the walrus said...
Moving time. It's always been a difficult time for me. I tend to try to cling to what I have. I'm thoroughly excited about moving... Although at the same time I'm not. I will be closer to family and friends, have new job opportunities, live in a new city and possibly start to settle down and build a network of friends and acquaintances that will last for longer than a year because I move so much.
I'm not sure if I'm ready to leave NY. Before this summer, I was. The city was starting to get to me, but after a break, I'm ready to give it another go. Plus, some opportunities have come up that I haven't been able to take full advantage of. And I'm not sure if the city is through with me yet. I know that sounds backwards, but usually I get to leave when I'm exhausted and filled with a good sense of finality: that I've done all I can with this place and I feel good about what I've accomplished and can look back with fond memories. The fond memories will be there: I've made good friends here. But I can't say that I feel good about what I've accomplished, theatre-wise at least. Personally, tho, I've grown more than I ever thought I could in terms of living on my own in a big city. It's opened my mind and tested me in ways that I couldn't foresee living in a small town where it's sheltered and safe.
I think also what's bugging me about leaving is that I'm probably never going to see these people or places again. I plan to re-visit NY, but that will be Manhattan most likely, and re-visiting the neighborhood will be only for a day or so. A lot of the people that I work with will be either gone or not working on the day I would go visit. I hate breaking off friendships. In this day and age, there's so many ways to communicate that you can't really lose touch unless you really try, but nothing can compare to seeing friends face to face and spending time with them on a regular basis.
But I'm also ready to start a new life. I want to get a good theatre job (or ANY theatre job :P), and start working at a new place. I can't wait to spend time with my sisters and parents again and finally live with just Andy and start our life as a couple on our own. The only reason I'm really not ready to leave is professional reasons. In all other aspects of my life, I'm ready.
On a different note, we won't have internet from Oct 5-9 or so, so if you need to contact me (or Andy), you know our phone numbers. More to come after that on moving and the new apartment search!
The last week has been bittersweet: saying goodbye to work friends, last days of work... but happy too. I had a great birthday: Thanks to all who sent cards or emails or posts!!! I used my birthday (and the day before and after) to do overhire work for costuming :):):) Where did I do this overhire you may ask? Juilliard. It really shows that it's who you know in this business.
Love to all,
Greta
Saturday, September 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I know EXACTLY how you feel! But we in the Midwest are looking forward to seeing you again. :) Give me a call when you get to chicago!
Post a Comment