Friday, May 05, 2006

Random musings and pics from Switzerland

It's been weird here... I mean, I'm supposed to be packing/cleaning or in general just being productive...and I haven't been. My parent's house usually means I'm on a break of some sort, so I'm not used to working when I'm here anymore. So I really have to get my butt in gear and start getting ready for leaving. It seems odd, everything is coming so quickly; I'm leaving on Wed for SP then down to Mt. Carroll, and then in about 2 weeks I'm graduating. It's rather crazy when I think about it...tho I've kinda avoided thinking about it. I had a "reality check" in the middle of Austria, the kind of moment where I realized what I had just done with my life for the past 3.5 months. I pretty much was stunned; living close to on my own (as "on your own" as dorm living gets) in a foreign country and travelled through 10 of them... It just made me think for a while.

Anyway, I got together with my friend Micah last night...so much fun!! We started at a coffee shop (it's bad, I can't say that without thinking "Amsterdam") and then continued to a tiny little bar called the Tomahawk Room. I've only been there once before, as it's a bar in Chippewa and I've only gone out once in Chippewa since I've been 21. But we talked forever, as usual, and played darts... I was actually pretty good, we were playing Cricket and I closed out bullseyes first:) But I still lost, oh well, I've never played before! Let's just say that a lot of darts hit the floor during my turns...

Anyway, enough rambling and time for pics!!

This was the view 20 metres from our hostel door...we were literally right on Lake Geneva


A pic from my afternoon walk


It was clear enough to see the sun set the first night we were there


A statue by the lake


Palm trees...in Switzerland?!


A pic from when we went up the mountain in a train


Freddy Mercury

Love to all!

4 comments:

Chris said...

I'm so happy you found Freddy in Montreux. Its the weridest thing just sitting there by the lake. Your pics are goregous. HAve fun packing and Congraulation on Graduation!!!

Nicki said...

Greta, your pictures are GLORIOUS! I like the one of you in front of the Eiffel Tower--that's an angle you don't normally see in pictures. And I'm so jealous that you got to see Freddie's statue! I'm gonna sing a Queen song now...jealousy, you got me somehow...aw. Makes me wanna get back on a train.

And don't worry about the packing and the cleaning. It'll happen. Whatever. After spending months abroad, living six hours from home is gonna seem like nothing!

Laura said...

Beautiful! You'll have to give me the name of that hostel because I never got to go to Switzerland. Why is there a statue of Freddy Mercury in Switerzerland

Greta said...

Freddy Mercury apparantly vacationed there because he liked the quiet there...and I think they recorded one of their albums there, but I'm not exactly sure. I don't remember the name of the hostel, but I have a pic of it somewhere that I can get to you.