Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Starting to love London

I'm starting to get to know the city, and making friends, and it's going really well. I've had a few classes so far: the theatre one will be cool, we get to see plays and discuss them... and they're going to be cool plays, not West End musicals. Don't get me wrong, I love me my musicals, but I can see them in the States. So I'm excited about that. Our International Studies course is basically learning about Britain: why it is the way it is and cultural factors and history that relates to what's going on now. And how to seem less American in Britain. My art class is sooooo cool!!!! We just started today, and we went to the National Gallery. We got to see works of art from the 1200s and talk about them and their historical context. This is how all museum visits should be, I was enthralled the entire time and sad when it ended.

Now the practical stuff: I'm staying in MTH, on the 2nd floor room 279(3rd floor American). You can use the ISH address I gave out before.
That one is:
Greta Weibel
c/o International Students House
229 Great Portland Street
London W1w 5PN
ENGLAND

They'll get it to me. Or if you want my "official" address, it's
Greta Weibel
Mary Trevelyan Hall Room 279
10 York Terrace East
London NW1 4QH
ENGLAND

Today was my first tube ride. It's funny, I will get lost unless I've been somewhere before, and even then I sometimes can't find my way back, but one look at the tube map and I can get you anywhere you want to go.

I'm also picking up a British accent :) It's fun. And, as the local theatre person, I entertain people with all my different accents :)

And tonight, as our first theatre show, we're going to see Aladdin. That's right, with SIR IAN McKELLAN in drag!!!!!!! We're in the very back, but that's ok, I'll have seen Ian McKellan onstage!!

Love to all, hope you are all doing great!!!!

6 comments:

Chris said...

Greta
I am so glad that your're enjoying London. And I am so jeaulos that you get to see Aladin. Let me know how it is.
Chris

Batmanda said...

You make me smile. :)

Laura said...

I hate you.
No, just kidding!
Aw! I miss London. To get to my room at MTH was the one you have to up a flight of stairs, across the hall, and down a flight of stairs. -No joke.
Sounds like you're having fun. Stand outside the stage door for me and ask Sir Ian why he never answered the question I posted on his website!

Nicki said...

Akkk!!! You're going to love Aladdin! Just remember--it's audience participation, so when the time comes, the magic words are "HE's BEHIND YOU!!!" :)

Unknown said...

Lucky duck *teehee--duck* I don't acre what other's say...New York just will never compare to London, though I cannot decide which city is the cleaner...

Sarah said...

Glad to hear London is going well for you. By the way I am also insanely jealous of you....hate you even...okay just jealous