Tuesday, January 31, 2006

London (and Kent!) adventures

When last we met, I was going to Amato Saltone. I found the station all right (I took the tube all by myself-yea!), but neglected to realize that there were 2 entrances until 9:15…so I ran through the tube station to the other entrance, and there was Nicki, waiting for me. The show was interesting, very fringe-y. I couldn’t really see a point to it, but it was good to go and see. It was definitely not a theatre production, but an experience. And Nicki and I went for a pint afterwards, which was nice, to just sit and talk in an English pub.

Thursday I sang karaoke at the Bar…didn’t go so great, but it was fun… there’s a nice pic of me on Facebook going “what are the words?!” And I got the first “I love your accent” comment from a guy from Camden that night.

On Friday we went to Greenwich on a river boat as a class trip. The boat was cool, I got to see a lot of historical buildings from the river. And it was my first time on the Thames; I’ve gone over and under and now I’ve gone through too! We got to see the Maritime museum, which was fun because Jenny and I found the kid’s activity portion and played around in that. Then we went to the Observatory, which was cool only because I saw the Prime Meridian up there. The museum isn’t much. Then Jenny, Jenna and I went around in the park near there. It was really fun, they had some really old trees in fun shapes which reminded me of Ents or tree spirits… You got the feeling that they were almost conscious and were allowing you to come and sit on them.

We had a walk for International Studies on Saturday and froze. It’s been about 30 degrees here for almost a week… It sucks because Wisconsin has warmer weather than us right now!!! Then we took the bus (BIG adventure) to Camden Market (even BIGGER adventure…those of you who’ve been know what I mean…no, I DIDN’T get any mushrooms, but the market and area are rather dodgy).

Sunday I took a day trip to Canterbury and Dover. My first time out of London since I've been here. So much fun!! The Canterbury cathedral is from the 12th century, with original paintings on some of the chapels. And Dover castle was cool, we got to see the castle and the white cliffs and the secret tunnels they used during WWII and we think we saw the outline of France!! Overall a good trip, with lots of pics (of course!)

Tonight, we're going to see Monsuier Ibrahim (sp?). It should be really good. And I'm going to York this weekend.

That's about all from here. Missing everyone and hoping that you will all leave me a comment!!!!

Chris, good luck moving, send me your address when you get one!

Love to all!

5 comments:

Nicki said...

Aww, I'm on Greta's blog! that's awesome you were at the MAritime museum, that's one of my favourites. Did you see the actual uniform Nelson was actually in when he was actually shot? He was so small! My question is: Did the guy who shot him do it because Nelson had a lot of shinys on his jacket, or was he gunning for the Admiral? And, more importantly, which one would make a better play? Can't wait to hear what you think about York--you make me want to get out of the city too! rock on with your london self!

Thought & Memory said...

Im glad you're having a great time. send me some pictures. I cant access your facebook account. Love you lots and Ill talk to you soon.
Andy Bear

Laura said...

What's this? They didn't rouse you out of your newfound London bed your first weekend in town to take a silly ass weekend trip to Cambridge so see something Sir Issac Newton once touched or something? And you didn't end up getting pissed beyond belief and hosing down your hostel room? Times sure have changed! Glad you're having fun!

Batmanda said...

Didn't get any mushrooms? Why not?!

Chris said...

I will get you address as soon as I have one